• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

resolution and refresh rate

freakdaddy64

Recruit
what is resolution and refresh rate peeps are using and why.
im playing 1440p on a 144 hz i like the smoothness but i get up a little over 200 fps probably avg 180 fps and was thinking of going to a 240 hx monitor.

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
Both your graphics card and monitor support G-Sync, which is nVidia's adaptive sync technology that was designed to give you a smoother gaming experience with lower input lag.

When your fps drops too low you are likely to experience screen tearing and/or stuttering, G-Sync can resolve these issues.

When your fps goes above your monitor's refresh rate, then G-Sync will stop trying to sync the GPU and monitor, because your screen simply can't keep up. This is where a faster monitor can help you and at 240hz your monitor will be faster than what you would expect to get in terms of output from your GPU.

For me the ideal monitor would be a 27", 2560x1440, G-Sync/Freesync monitor with at least a 240hz IPS panel, but something like that is not something that I can justify spending money on at the moment. If you are looking at a new monitor then that is what I suggest you use as your main criteria.

nVidia are now on their second generation of G-Sync processors, so unless you are planning on getting a AMD GPU in the next few years get a dedicated Freesync panel, if you're planning to stick with nVidia then get a G-Sync panel.

G-Sync is available in 3 ways:
  • G-Sync Compatible - has no nVidia processor but has been validated by nVidia to work variable refresh rates for tear/stutter free gaming, this is what to expect on some Freesync panels.
  • G-Sync - This has the original G-Sync procressor to deliver gaming with no tearing, stuttering and input lag.
  • G-Sync Ultimate - Also delivers a lifelike experience with support for HDR, stunning contrast, cinematic color, and ultra-low latency gameplay.
Make sure you check out plenty of reviews, personally I would look at Hardware Unboxed on YouTube for monitor reviews, they are thorough and come across as impartial so I believe they can be trusted.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
Both your graphics card and monitor support G-Sync, which is nVidia's adaptive sync technology that was designed to give you a smoother gaming experience with lower input lag.

When your fps drops too low you are likely to experience screen tearing and/or stuttering, G-Sync can resolve these issues.

When your fps goes above your monitor's refresh rate, then G-Sync will stop trying to sync the GPU and monitor, because your screen simply can't keep up. This is where a faster monitor can help you and at 240hz your monitor will be faster than what you would expect to get in terms of output from your GPU.

For me the ideal monitor would be a 27", 2560x1440, G-Sync/Freesync monitor with at least a 240hz IPS panel, but something like that is not something that I can justify spending money on at the moment. If you are looking at a new monitor then that is what I suggest you use as your main criteria.

nVidia are now on their second generation of G-Sync processors, so unless you are planning on getting a AMD GPU in the next few years get a dedicated Freesync panel, if you're planning to stick with nVidia then get a G-Sync panel.

G-Sync is available in 3 ways:
  • G-Sync Compatible - has no nVidia processor but has been validated by nVidia to work variable refresh rates for tear/stutter free gaming, this is what to expect on some Freesync panels.
  • G-Sync - This has the original G-Sync procressor to deliver gaming with no tearing, stuttering and input lag.
  • G-Sync Ultimate - Also delivers a lifelike experience with support for HDR, stunning contrast, cinematic color, and ultra-low latency gameplay.
Make sure you check out plenty of reviews, personally I would look at Hardware Unboxed on YouTube for monitor reviews, they are thorough and come across as impartial so I believe they can be trusted.
What are some monitors you might suggest

KeyboardDemon

No, I'm saying 24" is the biggest monitor size that works for 1080p before the image starts to degrade as a result of a reduction in pixel density.

1080p works by producing a grid of pixels with 1080 rows and 1920 columns, you will have the same number of pixels on a 24" as you would on a 27".

With the same number of pixels and a larger display area to cover on a larger screen the pixels will be farther apart than on a smaller screen.

That difference would be exaggerated by giving you a more pixelated display so you should expect to see more jagged edges on diagonal lines and text will appear to be fuzzy.

The playlist of videos from Hardware Unboxed might have a video that explains this better than I have.

Do a quick but of independent research and look at what you can find when you search YouTube for '1080p on 24" vs 27" display.

KeyboardDemon

I just found this video that explains the difference more accurately than I have, I forgot about the difference in pixel size, bigger monitor would need bigger pixels, but I'll let this dude explain it for you:

KeyboardDemon

what monitor do you use and what resolution do you prefer?
My monitor was the Choice of Champions, according to the marketing literature, I've had it since it launched in 2014, it's an Asus Swift PG278Q, a 27" TFT panel that runs at up to 144hz and 2560x1440.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
ive been going back and forth between 1080p and 1440 im thinking of going 1080p with 280 hz, i have my display at 1080 to help read better, i have an eye condition called fuch dystrophy. you can look it up. im think the 24 inch might be better and yes it has 280 hz. what do you think about this.

KeyboardDemon

If I recall correctly, your current BenQ monitor is a 27" 144hz 1440p panel, so specs are like the specs on my monitor. Moving to a smaller, lower resolution panel would, imho, be 2 steps backward, and all you would gain is a 240hz panel from that.

I have a 24" panel in the house, I have my old PC connected to it, I find stepping down from a 27" to a 24" panel difficult to adapt to, I guess I could eventually get used to it, but wouldn't want to unless it was necessary.

I use reading glasses to read, and was finding it harder and harder to read as my glasses prescription was a couple of years out of date, so to compensate I was adjusting the zoom level on my browser rather than adjusting the resolution on my monitor and that made a massive difference.

what do you think about this.
The monitor is a good 1080p panel, the size is a decent size for that resolution and yes, it has an extremely high refresh rate. But I would never downgrade one aspect of my display to upgrade another, and you're talking about downgrading in two areas to improve in one.

If ever you needed a second display, then that would not be a bad choice, so you could use your 27" for gaming and 24" for browsing and other things,

Visually, you will get a far better gaming experience at 1440p even if you can't manage more that 144hz or maybe 165hz if your panel has that option. If you're buying from Amazon, you do at least have a decent returns policy, so you can buy and try it, then return it if it doesn't fit your needs.

I am going to wait until a monitor that meets my minimum requirements becomes an affordable option, and it will do eventually. You can already buy a higher spec monitor than my monitor at half the price of my 7 year old PG278Q and the speed at which tech is improving is only getting faster. I don't think it will be that long before people are looking at $700 1440p with 360hz panels and then the 240hz panels will be less than half their current price, so unless there is a real urgent need to buy a monitor right now, then I would stick with what you have.

Your willingness to drop from 27" to 24" and 1440p to 1080p just to get to 240hz suggests to me that you're fixated with that 240hz number more than anything else, which as I have already said, doesn't make sense to me.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
yes you are right i am fixated real bad, but you are right and im waiting and my acer is 1440p 144hz 27 inch isp and works great and when im gaming and see 200 plus fps but avg 180 i want a 240 hz .or 280. and i have been going back and forth with 1080 and 1440 looking at differences.

KeyboardDemon

how about this lmao

I've tried a 32" monitor before, I found it to be overwhelming, but I had a smaller desk at the time. Ideally you would need to be 48" to 64" inches away from the screen to see the full image clearly. I can't remember how deep your new desk is, but if it is not deep enough then you won't enjoy gaming on that monitor.

There is a 27" version with a more reasonable price point and that would be a better choice.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
I just posted that kidding around hopefully I can save some money my number one contender is the Alienware 27-in 1440p 240 hertz

KeyboardDemon

I think you can get a better monitor than an Alienware at a better price, with Alienware there's a brand tax. Buy the equivalent Dell monitor and you will get the same panel with the same features in a different case, just without the pointless RGB lighting at the back.

Like CODForums!

Advertisements