• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Suppressed Weapons-Response To Complaints?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxic34

Recruit
Lately, I saw a video which essentially dismissed how COD and similar military shooters treat suppressed weapons. It's two people stating that "suppressors are for the owner's hearing and not to be invisible", stating that the range of suppressed weapons actually INCREASE because "there's more time for the powder to go through the weapon, which gives it more of a kick", ans saying that "this whole stealth ninja thing is ridiculous." They also insist that since the weapons are still fairly loud to the user, there's no way anyone else COULDN'T hear it and not notice just as quickly as with standard weapons.

Does anyone have anything to say about this?

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
Lately, I saw a video which essentially dismissed how COD and similar military shooters treat suppressed weapons. It's two people stating that "suppressors are for the owner's hearing and not to be invisible", stating that the range of suppressed weapons actually INCREASE because "there's more time for the powder to go through the weapon, which gives it more of a kick", ans saying that "this whole stealth ninja thing is ridiculous." They also insist that since the weapons are still fairly loud to the user, there's no way anyone else COULDN'T hear it and not notice just as quickly as with standard weapons.

Does anyone have anything to say about this?
Actually, I use silencers to be invisible. I do this every Call of Duty since the first time I saw it in COD4. It removes your red dot on radar, it muffles your shots. The reason why people are complaining about this is that it's noticeable in WWII. You can hear it, but other users can't hear it, and that's how it's supposed to be. In real life, your silencer shots are only noticeable to YOU, but not the others. They won't even realize you were there.

Toxic34

Recruit
I guess a lot of these people (the video in question had a so-called "silencer expert and aficionado") forget that sound travels, and that a suppressed weapon's fire wouldn't travel as further, especially with a sniper rifle. What about the "expert" saying that "it's a myth that range is reduced, if anything it goes further?"

The video in question:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBN6uv-jg4I

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
I guess a lot of these people (the video in question had a so-called "silencer expert and aficionado") forget that sound travels, and that a suppressed weapon's fire wouldn't travel as further, especially with a sniper rifle. What about the "expert" saying that "it's a myth that range is reduced, if anything it goes further?"

The video in question:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBN6uv-jg4I
Well, Call of Duty ignores that. You have to remember that COD is made up of casuals. They don't care about this stuff. Battlefield fans do, and some Metal Gear fans do, as well. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain does this silencer thing and bullet drop perfectly. But Call of Duty fans don't really give a shit. They're just complaining because it's the biggest [game] franchise in the world right now.

Toxic34

Recruit
You'd think they would at least acknowledge that they recorded realistic sounds for the weapons, rather than the famous squeaky noise often found in Hollywood movies or popularized in the original GoldenEye for the N64. I was just watching the movie Eraser recently, and even by those standards, the sound used there was patently ridiculous. (I like that movie by the way, even if it is the epitome of dumb, loud action movies filled with nonsensical plot holes. But that is in part because I'm not very discriminatory in my tastes. I can watch a big sweeping period piece film or an uber-serious art-house film, then immediately follow it up with dumb comedy or action. Same with video games.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like CODForums!

Advertisements