• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

What is your impression of CODAW so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
So far, we've seen the Single Player story, we've seen the Single Player campaign mission(s), we've seen the multiplayer mode/modes, and we've seen the Co-Op mode. We're about 3 weeks away from the worldwide launch of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare on PlayStation consoles, Xbox consoles, and PC. But, what do YOU think of Advanced Warfare so far?

The reason why I asked is that Activision has started to run commercials during some of the biggest TV shows. At the same time, we've seen some gloomy reports from so called... "analysts" claiming that Advanced Warfare will sell 10% less than Call of Duty: Ghosts. So, that means it will sell anywhere between 10 million, to 15 million units worldwide.

But I think that's bullshit. Mostly because I think Advanced Warfare has a lot of new things being introduced to the franchise. A lot of people claim Call of Duty can't be a MMO unless it's a loot crazy game. I mean, one of Activision's properties is a MMO, called World of Warcraft. Advanced Warfare introduces loot items. That gives way to... MMO. I don't know if you notice it, but Activision wants to go THERE.

Imagine a Call of Duty title where there's 500,000 people in the same 'room' roaming around and shooting each other constantly and make a real... live... world.

However, that's a subject for another day.

What do you feel about Advanced Warfare so far?

I think Advanced Warfare can make Call of Duty fun all over again. I think this is the one title where you can feel this COD4 bug, all over again. Right now? If you don't hear a lot of talk about Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. Let me tell you: It's the calm before the storm.

Get ready. Because it's going to be big.

Crazio

Recruit
Somehow I think this game is going to be so much better than Titanfall but at the same time its going to be titanfall. And in a way I think that is a good thing. I enjoyed Titanfall but at the same time i didnt. You feeling me :p?

Anyway I sure hope AW will bring some cool new stuff. I also hope they will introduce the 1vs1 2vs2 and 3vs3 again like mw3. I really enjoyed that stuff.

I sure hope they will fix some stupid stuff, like latency and hackers and such :/

Last edited:

TheCurious1

Banned
Wow imagine COD as an MMO and loads of people running around in an open world haha.. crazy shit! I'm excited yes definitely.. and there is that feelings of revolution again! However hype is hype and it's easy to get your hopes up after seeing just a few snippets of gameplays from different game modes. Playing the game will determine whether it's a goer..

I think they done rightly by putting a traditional playlist in AW because there will be people who want that old COD feeling back. What worries me is will the maps still be enjoyable without the Exo?? Who knows? SHG's seem to be keeping the small to medium size map tradition! And plus the Exo suit could be a major flop.. we will have to wait and see :)

I would just like dedicated servers and theater mode. Everyone always says that it's too much to ask Activision to maybe I dunno...switch some servers over from WOW or some other game to be COD dedicated for consoles. I'm tired of player host and migration and all that.

When I see a next gen game coming out like Advanced Warfare and I still know from the news about it that we aren't getting dedicated servers (for consoles of course PC has dedicated servers) or theater mode back, it's like even though the game is taking a step forward with fresh gameplay and new rewards mechanics and everything, it's still going back in the wrong direction. Theater mode isn't really my focus here, dedicated servers is.

With all the money COD is making Activision and SHG could split server cost, use entirely new servers across the planet and still profit. But...they wouldn't profit as much and there-in lies the problem. Well then Activision could use a few extra servers from all their other games, maybe even PC servers for consoles, but that would also cost converting them, setting them up, switching them, etc.

The problem here (to point out again) is that this is one of the reasons COD is dying, but they're too blind to see this, in fact most people don't think it's a big issue. Between lag switching, modders using host advantage to do other nefarious things, and just general lag, it's near ridiculous. We're getting into a new generation of consoles and still player host. Even Titanfall had dedicated servers. Why can't we get dedicated servers.

And guess what as far as credible sources go this is going to be the least goriest most near Teen rating of a COD to date. Less swearing less gore. I thought it was outrageous they even had a setting in some past CODs to block bad language or bring the gore down. Stop catering to parents, you're still going to make money even if you don't pander so much. They don't understand that kids' parents will still buy them this game even if it's super gory, kids just want to play an M-rated FPS. Plain and simple. Don't dull it down for us adults just 'cause you think you're going to make less money. We all know you won't lose a dime if you left it realistic and only used the swear words in appropriate situations and context.

I'm sure Advanced Warfare will be a great COD, but it's going down the same beaten path as the others with what I mentioned that is causing COD to die. Even though it's bringing something new, it's not looking over what's been dragging it down for years.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
With all the money COD is making Activision and SHG could split server cost, use entirely new servers across the planet and still profit. But...they wouldn't profit as much and there-in lies the problem. Well then Activision could use a few extra servers from all their other games, maybe even PC servers for consoles, but that would also cost converting them, setting them up, switching them, etc.
I don't think "splitting" server costs is a good idea. Sledgehammer Games is still a startup. Microsoft did this with TitanFall, and I'm guessing it's costing them less than what Respawn would have to stick their cash out of their ass. How less? Well, for one, Microsoft can afford to spend billions in server losses and not give a shit. And for two, they currently do server hosting for all kinds of businesses, including their own games. Amazon does the same, so if they provide server hosting to their own developers, the margins will be so small, it will look like a little bug to the corporation.

Thing is, Activision doesn't do this the same way Microsoft/Amazon does it. It costs Activision just as much as the marketing budget. And I can tell you from first-hand experience - server hosting costs a lot of money. I currently pay $100 a month just for upkeep. $10 a domain. $25 to $35 a skin - The current design? $35. No shitting. My point is, startups can't do what Microsoft or Amazon can do. It's just not that easy.
The problem here (to point out again) is that this is one of the reasons COD is dying, but they're too blind to see this, in fact most people don't think it's a big issue. Between lag switching, modders using host advantage to do other nefarious things, and just general lag, it's near ridiculous. We're getting into a new generation of consoles and still player host. Even Titanfall had dedicated servers. Why can't we get dedicated servers.
I don't think they have been ignoring it, they know, and these lagswitching, modding, glitching piece of shits are just adding to the fire that Activision has to look for new ways to combat these attacks. It's the same thing Sony is going through, and the worst part is, Sony doesn't have the capital or manpower to do it. They can't afford these DDoS attacks, by installing DDoS mitigation. It adds $xxx,xxx capital to the top of the server hosting bill.
And guess what as far as credible sources go this is going to be the least goriest most near Teen rating of a COD to date. Less swearing less gore. I thought it was outrageous they even had a setting in some past CODs to block bad language or bring the gore down. Stop catering to parents, you're still going to make money even if you don't pander so much. They don't understand that kids' parents will still buy them this game even if it's super gory, kids just want to play an M-rated FPS. Plain and simple. Don't dull it down for us adults just 'cause you think you're going to make less money. We all know you won't lose a dime if you left it realistic and only used the swear words in appropriate situations and context.
I don't know why they decreased the violence level. Just doesn't make sense. You're right on everything you've just said.

And you know what the worst part is? I didn't even notice that they decreased the amount of blood.

pwntendo

Recruit
Wow imagine COD as an MMO and loads of people running around in an open world haha.. crazy shit! I'm excited yes definitely.. and there is that feelings of revolution again! However hype is hype and it's easy to get your hopes up after seeing just a few snippets of gameplays from different game modes. Playing the game will determine whether it's a goer..

I think they done rightly by putting a traditional playlist in AW because there will be people who want that old COD feeling back. What worries me is will the maps still be enjoyable without the Exo?? Who knows? SHG's seem to be keeping the small to medium size map tradition! And plus the Exo suit could be a major flop.. we will have to wait and see :)

Ever played Planetside 2? It's essentially a massive openworld MMOFPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like CODForums!

Advertisements