• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Angels of Death

Winning gunfights in BR

Angels of Death

CMCFLYYY

Recruit
So the 10 mag bullets On the cr5 are powerful enough to feel like a sniper?
Not sure what game modes y'all are playing, but in Hardcore absolutely. And I should clarify here - IMO a sniper is a bolt-action rifle like the HDR, AX-50, or Kar (I don't care that MW calls it a DMR, it's not). The long exception to this is the Rytec, which is based on the Barrett .50cal which is an anti-tank semi-auto "sniper". All of these can kill in 1 headshot in Warzone, and 3 body shots at any range (except for the Kar which needs 5 to the stomach/limbs at long range). Meanwhile a DMR is a semi-auto that deals more damage per bullet than an AR but not as much damage as the previously mentioned snipers. They fire at a slower ROF and have smaller mags compared to ARs. The grouping here includes the EBR, SKS, Dragunov (again don't care that the game calls it a sniper, with a 2 HTK headshot it is a DMR), and the MK2. All 4 of these require 2 headshots to kill in Warzone, and anywhere between 3-6 body shots at longer ranges.

The 10-R mag conversion for the CR56 converts it to a 10-round mag fired semi-auto that deals more damage than a standard AR and is meant to be used like a DMR. To properly determine it's usage we should look at all 3 game types - Core, Hardcore, and Warzone.

Core: The stock CR56 needs 2 headshots and 3 body shots to kill at short ranges, but that quickly drops off to 3 headshots and 4-5 body shots outside 45m. The Zodiac barrel would extend that "short" range to 30m and the longest range to 60m, so that helps for most of Multiplayer ranges. The 10-R conversion makes it a 1 HTK for headshots at shorter ranges. It will require 2 headshots out at the longer Multiplayer ranges, but will never require more than 2-3 body shots. So the DMR conversion takes the stock CR56 from a 2-3 headshot and 3-5 bodyshots to 1-2 headshots and 2-3 body shots, so it's basically removing at least 1 HTK across all ranges. The trade-off is the semi-auto fire and you only get 10 shots, so at longer ranges 5 body shots might be pushing it with 50% accuracy.

Hardcore: This is where the 10-R mags shine. The stock CR56 is 1 HTK to the entire body at short range, but that does drop off to 2 HTK to the body at the longer Multiplayer ranges. The 10-R mags remove that longer range problem by making it 1 HTK to any part of the body at any range. The 10-round mag isn't an issue here, because you only need 1 HTK and even at 33% accuracy you could still kill 3 enemies with one mag. Another benefit here is you don't need the Zodiac barrel to extend the range, since it's already a 1 HTK at any range. So you can skip a barrel altogether to gain back that attachment you lost by equipping the 10-R mag, something to help with Stability or ADS like a stock or one of the shorter barrels. I personally ran my CR56 DMR with the following:

Mono Suppressor
VLK 3.0x
FTAC Hunter
Commando Grip
10-R Mag

Again I hate when the enemy team knows where I am, plus I don't want to get reliant on a compensator when I "practice in Multiplayer" because then in Warzone where you HAVE to use a suppressor I won't be used to the recoil. So better to practice the way I'll be using it in Warzone. Also I went with that FTAC Hunter stock to add extra aiming stability for first shot accuracy - with a 1 HTK DMR that first shot is all you need so being on target for that first shot is important.

Warzone: The stock CR56 needs 5 headshots but just 6-8 body shots at closer ranges. This drops to 7 headshots and 9-11 body shots at longer ranges, which is still better than the 5.56 rifles which need 14 but the lower ROF helps balance it. Similarly story here as with Core Multiplayer - there is a benefit to using the 10-R conversion but the smaller mag size really hurts when it takes more HTK. The DMR conversion requires only 3 headshots and 5-6 body shots at short range, which already is beginning to push it with 50% accuracy on a 10-round mag. At longer ranges it drops to 4 headshots and 6-8 body shots. 8 body shots at 50% accuracy means you will need most of 2 mags to kill someone at longer range. By contrast the EBR and SKS will both kill in 5-6 body shots at long range, while the Dragunov only needs 4. That isn't too big of a different (6-8 for the CR56, 4-6 for those 3 DMRs), but all 3 of those can equip extended mags beyond the 10-round limit of the CR56. To compare all 4 DMRs at a hypothetical 50% accuracy:

CR56: 7 body HTK = 14 shots fired with 10 round mags, means you are using 2 mags just to kill 1 enemy
EBR: 5 body HTK = 10 shots fired with 20 round mags, means you can kill 2 enemies with 1 mag
SKS: 6 body HTK = 12 shots fired with 30 round mags, means you can kill 2+ enemies with 1 mag
Dragunov: 4 body HTK = 8 shots fired with 20 round mags, means you can kill 2+ enemies with 1 mag

You can easily see how the CR56 is outgunned in Warzone by the other DMRs.

For me, the 10-R conversion was just a means to make the gun more lethal for Hardcore while I was unlocking camos. In Warzone I only use the stock CR56 as a secondary to my Kar.

CMCFLYYY

Recruit
I think the main attachments world be the 10 round Mag, Squal barrel, and sniper rifle scope.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Not sure if you were referring to Multiplayer or Warzone, but those are conflicting attachments. In Multiplayer the sniper scope with an 8x zoom is a bit overkill for those smaller maps. Could just be my personal preference, but I feel like one of the midrange 3-3.5x optics is plenty for Multiplayer, which also helps keep your ADS quicker and you get a small recoil buff with most of those scopes too. The Squall barrel does make sense for Multiplayer to help quicken the ADS time without any movement/recoil penalty. Going off the loadout I listed above, you could certainly swap in the Squall barrel for the FTAC Hunter stock to help with ADS instead of Aim Stability.

In Warzone I could see using the sniper scope if you really want your CR56 to be a long-range DMR. But as I said above you're needing an average of 7 bodyshots to kill at longer ranges, and with only a 10-round mag you basically need perfect accuracy to kill someone in 1 mag. Otherwise while you're reloading they'll be getting into cover and plating back up. Also, the Squall barrel is not good for Warzone because it shortens your ranges and bullet velocity. Instead you should be using the Zodiac barrel to extend the ranges, increase bullet velocity, and help with recoil control.

Wiseowl

Recruit
Not sure what game modes y'all are playing, but in Hardcore absolutely. And I should clarify here - IMO a sniper is a bolt-action rifle like the HDR, AX-50, or Kar (I don't care that MW calls it a DMR, it's not). The long exception to this is the Rytec, which is based on the Barrett .50cal which is an anti-tank semi-auto "sniper". All of these can kill in 1 headshot in Warzone, and 3 body shots at any range (except for the Kar which needs 5 to the stomach/limbs at long range). Meanwhile a DMR is a semi-auto that deals more damage per bullet than an AR but not as much damage as the previously mentioned snipers. They fire at a slower ROF and have smaller mags compared to ARs. The grouping here includes the EBR, SKS, Dragunov (again don't care that the game calls it a sniper, with a 2 HTK headshot it is a DMR), and the MK2. All 4 of these require 2 headshots to kill in Warzone, and anywhere between 3-6 body shots at longer ranges.

The 10-R mag conversion for the CR56 converts it to a 10-round mag fired semi-auto that deals more damage than a standard AR and is meant to be used like a DMR. To properly determine it's usage we should look at all 3 game types - Core, Hardcore, and Warzone.

Core: The stock CR56 needs 2 headshots and 3 body shots to kill at short ranges, but that quickly drops off to 3 headshots and 4-5 body shots outside 45m. The Zodiac barrel would extend that "short" range to 30m and the longest range to 60m, so that helps for most of Multiplayer ranges. The 10-R conversion makes it a 1 HTK for headshots at shorter ranges. It will require 2 headshots out at the longer Multiplayer ranges, but will never require more than 2-3 body shots. So the DMR conversion takes the stock CR56 from a 2-3 headshot and 3-5 bodyshots to 1-2 headshots and 2-3 body shots, so it's basically removing at least 1 HTK across all ranges. The trade-off is the semi-auto fire and you only get 10 shots, so at longer ranges 5 body shots might be pushing it with 50% accuracy.

Hardcore: This is where the 10-R mags shine. The stock CR56 is 1 HTK to the entire body at short range, but that does drop off to 2 HTK to the body at the longer Multiplayer ranges. The 10-R mags remove that longer range problem by making it 1 HTK to any part of the body at any range. The 10-round mag isn't an issue here, because you only need 1 HTK and even at 33% accuracy you could still kill 3 enemies with one mag. Another benefit here is you don't need the Zodiac barrel to extend the range, since it's already a 1 HTK at any range. So you can skip a barrel altogether to gain back that attachment you lost by equipping the 10-R mag, something to help with Stability or ADS like a stock or one of the shorter barrels. I personally ran my CR56 DMR with the following:

Mono Suppressor
VLK 3.0x
FTAC Hunter
Commando Grip
10-R Mag

Again I hate when the enemy team knows where I am, plus I don't want to get reliant on a compensator when I "practice in Multiplayer" because then in Warzone where you HAVE to use a suppressor I won't be used to the recoil. So better to practice the way I'll be using it in Warzone. Also I went with that FTAC Hunter stock to add extra aiming stability for first shot accuracy - with a 1 HTK DMR that first shot is all you need so being on target for that first shot is important.

Warzone: The stock CR56 needs 5 headshots but just 6-8 body shots at closer ranges. This drops to 7 headshots and 9-11 body shots at longer ranges, which is still better than the 5.56 rifles which need 14 but the lower ROF helps balance it. Similarly story here as with Core Multiplayer - there is a benefit to using the 10-R conversion but the smaller mag size really hurts when it takes more HTK. The DMR conversion requires only 3 headshots and 5-6 body shots at short range, which already is beginning to push it with 50% accuracy on a 10-round mag. At longer ranges it drops to 4 headshots and 6-8 body shots. 8 body shots at 50% accuracy means you will need most of 2 mags to kill someone at longer range. By contrast the EBR and SKS will both kill in 5-6 body shots at long range, while the Dragunov only needs 4. That isn't too big of a different (6-8 for the CR56, 4-6 for those 3 DMRs), but all 3 of those can equip extended mags beyond the 10-round limit of the CR56. To compare all 4 DMRs at a hypothetical 50% accuracy:

CR56: 7 body HTK = 14 shots fired with 10 round mags, means you are using 2 mags just to kill 1 enemy
EBR: 5 body HTK = 10 shots fired with 20 round mags, means you can kill 2 enemies with 1 mag
SKS: 6 body HTK = 12 shots fired with 30 round mags, means you can kill 2+ enemies with 1 mag
Dragunov: 4 body HTK = 8 shots fired with 20 round mags, means you can kill 2+ enemies with 1 mag

You can easily see how the CR56 is outgunned in Warzone by the other DMRs.

For me, the 10-R conversion was just a means to make the gun more lethal for Hardcore while I was unlocking camos. In Warzone I only use the stock CR56 as a secondary to my Kar.
Wow! Lot’s of useful info there!

DizzyDemon

Recruit
Not sure if you were referring to Multiplayer or Warzone, but those are conflicting attachments.
I was trying to remember how I had set it up for my experiments before I switched over to the beast of a gun that I currently roll with, and I thought that if it was going to be setup as a DMR then a longer distance scope would help achieve that.

Reading your post and explanation behind each decision makes a lot of sense, I think I am going to have to give hardcore a try and for that, I will set up my CR-56 as a DMR.

H3rd

Recruit
Going back to the discussion on server lag compensation....

I am hardwired with about 300mb down. I feel like I am at a disadvantage to those that have a low connection. I am wondering if it would be better for me to use my wifi at ~70/mb to even the playing field, or is the a myth?

DizzyDemon

Recruit

I am hardwired with about 300mb down. I feel like I am at a disadvantage to those that have a low connection. I am wondering if it would be better for me to use my wifi at ~70/mb to even the playing field, or is the a myth?
It sounds like a myth to me. 300mb down is great for downloading the game quickly, but the factors that might work against you are things like latency.

Have a look at your ping ratings when you run a test on Speedtest.net to see what your ping is.

I live in an area where I get 2 choices that give me either a maximum of 43mb with low ping rates or I can choose another provider that can offer up to 300mb/s but they have crazy high pings and have recently been plagued with reliability issues. If I could get both high data rates and low ping I would jump on that without a second thought.

Using WiFi would only reduce the speed at which your PC connects to your router and not the speed at which your router connects to the internet, so it wouldn't help.

WiFi will also introduce a delay between your PC and your router, this means you would be getting added lag or higher pings, that's not a desirable result when gaming.

Lower ping is king.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

H3rd

Recruit
@DizzyDemon Ahh. Makes sense. I am actually on an Xbox. I am not at the box now to do any testing, but when I do a test on my Mac, I have 17s ping, 785mb down and 829 up, hardwired as well.

I was just thinking that if players with higher latency might have an advantage. I watch the kill cams and even when I think I started shooting first, it does not seem to be the case.

I have implemented some Strats and loadouts discussed here and I am doing better, but still not really good at all. It does not help that many of my friends are not on at the same time and randoms seem to not have mics and leave the game early often times. Also when going into trios, it starts the match with me and one other person, even with fill on.

CMCFLYYY

Recruit

Sadly due to how lag compensation is handled with server-side hosting, having higher latency is an advantage because your movements and actions are delayed being reported through the server to your opponent, but then time is "rewinded" for the faster latency player to give the lower latency player a chance. However, 70/mb would not be enough to notice any of this - that is still "fast" internet by modern standards. And not only that, but as Dizzy mentions it more has to do with the pings to the server as well. No matter your connection speed, if you're still getting a low ping to nearby servers, you're still going to have a solid connection. You'd have to have an awful internet provider with like 200+ pings to notice any kind of advantage with lag compensation. At least as far as I have understood the topic.

DizzyDemon

Recruit
No matter your connection speed, if you're still getting a low ping to nearby servers, you're still going to have a solid connection. You'd have to have an awful internet provider with like 200+ pings to notice any kind of advantage with lag compensation. At least as far as I have understood the topic.
The way I understand how the servers populate games is that they will find players with similar ping rates and put them in together, at least that's what I see on PC, I see it look for players running at less than 25ms ping, then 49ms, and then the next step and the next etc... so you shouldn't see a 200ms ping player going up against a 25ms ping player if I have understood that correctly.

@DizzyDemon @Wiseowl
Just incase you still fancy trying out the 10r converted cr56.
I'd stick on the zodiac barrel, mono suppressor, taclazer and your choice of long distance (but probably not sniper) scope.
Obviously the first two attachments are primarily to increase bullet velocity to make hitting your shots easier. The taclazer gets your sights up faster and helps with stability. I like the cronen, but a lot of people like the vlk.
As I think @CMCFLYYY said, for a dmr I think there's a lot of value in keeping your gun glint free.
It doesn't feel like a sniper. The main benefit is putting out a lot of damage at range without having to worry about recoil control or ammo conservation.

Like CODForums!

Advertisements

Angels of Death